- WIN BLOG
- IN THE NEWS
Jen Jordan Seeks Re-election After Breaking Senate Supermajority
Georgia’s WIN List proudly endorses Senator Jen Jordan for re-election to Senate District Six following a special election victory last fall which broke Georgia’s GOP Senate Supermajority. The district includes parts of Smyrna, Vinings, north Atlanta, and Sandy Springs.
The daughter of a rural South Georgia single mom, Jen learned first-hand the value of hard work and an economy which works for everyone. Jen’s teachers believed in her and encouraged her to study. She attended The University of Georgia and went on to graduate magna cum laude from the UGA School of Law. She and her husband, Lawton, also a lawyer, live in Atlanta with their two children after having lived in other parts of the district since 20044.
An accomplished trial lawyer with a-well earned a reputation for big WINs on behalf those the system has failed, Senator Jordan quickly translated her fighting spirit and oratorical skills to the “rooms where it happens” during the 2018 legislative session. She worked to reach consensus to fully fund Georgia’s public education system for the first time in more than a decade and to pass a transit bill providing the 13-county metro Atlanta region a path for tackling growing traffic issues.
At the same time, she fought against extremism and Donald Trump’s policies when our values – and the safety of our children – were at stake. Having represented victims of domestic abuse, she authored legislation to keep guns out of the hands of abusers and also to ban bump stocks. She has earned the Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate distinction.
Upon re-election, Jen wants to keep working on the following important issues to help the citizens of Senate District 6 and the state as a whole:
- EDUCATION – Jen will fight to fully fund our public schools, create universal pre-K, and expand deductions for 529 college savings accounts to make college more affordable for families.
- GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION – Jen supports universal background checks for all firearm purchases in Georgia. She opposes “Campus Carry” and will work to repeal this problematic law so that students, professors, and visitors can feel safe on college campuses.
- HEALTHCARE & WOMEN’S RIGHTS – Jen understands the sacrifices women make and will always stand up for equal pay for equal work. She supports a woman’s right to choose, guaranteed access to birth control, and keeping health clinics open. When Jen was young, her mother lacked health insurance and her uterine cancer went undetected until it reached Stage 4. Jen understands families need access to affordable health care and pledges to fight all efforts to cut healthcare benefits or increase costs.
- EQUALITY – Jen will fight against discrimination and stand up to politicians who propose laws discriminating against gays, lesbians, and other vulnerable populations. She knows when extremists promote legislation, like the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act (RFRA), it’s not only demeaning to individual Georgians, but it hampers efforts to recruit job-creating businesses.
- RAISING THE MINIMUM WAGE – Jen will fight to raise Georgia’s minimum wage to at least $10.10 an hour and restore local control by giving cities like Atlanta the right to an even higher rate when voters agree. Having put herself through college by working minimum wage jobs, she knows first hand the struggle families face in trying to survive on so little.
- ENVIRONMENT – Jen is endorsed by Georgia’s Sierra Club and believes global warming and climate change are real and measurable. She pledges to pursue public policies which curb emissions and protect our natural resources.