Georgia’s WIN List is proud to endorse attorney Shea Roberts for House District 52, a highly “flippable” suburban seat in Sandy Springs currently served by a Republican woman. Shea’s campaign gives citizens of the district their first opportunity to vote for a Democratic legislator in more than a decade.
Shea believes her district needs a more balanced consideration of all voices and a more principled legislature to advance our community’s shared values. A Georgia native and small business owner, Shea has spent the past 20 years interpreting and applying legislation on a daily basis, and advocating for clients seeking proposed changes in land use plans, and therefore is no stranger to politics.
As a mother, lawyer, and activist, Shea knows the importance of working together, across all backgrounds and beliefs, for the greater good. Three issues she has focused her campaign on include:
- TRAFFIC – The newly established unified transit authority may be a step in the right direction, but does not solve transit issues, she says. “I will be a champion for legislation which gets more cars off the road and more riders on transit by investments in a mass transit system which takes citizens to destinations all around the metro Atlanta area – including Cobb and Gwinnett counties,” she said. “Just as we must update the formula by which we assess funding for public education, we must update the legislative framework by which we solve our systemic transit issues.”
- WOMEN’S RIGHTS – Shea notes on average, Georgia women who are employed full-time lose a combined total of more than $25 billion every year due to the wage gap, a systematic inequity which affects entire families and places early onset barriers for childhood development from the beginning. She says eliminating this annual wage gap would give women more money for child care, college tuition, and living expenses. Considering Georgia leads the nation in maternal death rates, Shea will advocate for better health care for women through expansion of Medicaid as well as better education and research for women’s health issues. She is also a strong advocate for reproductive freedom as evidenced by her many endorsements from progressive groups.
- SAFE SCHOOLS – After hearing her 14-year-old daughter describe climbing onto a music classroom instrument closet shelf during her school’s “active shooter drill,” Shea says she is deeply committed to solutions for school safety. “We must work toward solutions including on-site modifications to school facilities, technologies, protocols, and training. But, any successful global solution must include common sense gun regulation,” she said. “As the only candidate in District 52 with the Gun Sense Distinction from Moms Demand Action, I will fight for and support legislation which ensures our children feel safe in schools that socially and academically prepare for them for their future.”
Shea’s candidacy has also been targeted nationally as a Spotlight Race by the DLCC.
Learn more about Shea and follow her campaign here:
Shea Roberts for Georgia
- Website: www.sheaforgeorgia.com
- Facebook: @sheaforgeorgia
- Twitter: @sheaforgeorgia
- Instagram: @sheaforgeorgia
Georgia women like Shea are making history in this midterm election cycle as they run for seats long held by Republicans. With women in record numbers on the ballot this year, WIN List needs your help to elect these women and train the candidates we want to see on the ballot in 2020 and beyond.