- WIN BLOG
- IN THE NEWS
WINning Women Impact GA Legislature
Now that recounts are over and election returns are certified, please join us in congratulating the 12 WIN List endorsed women who won their races on November 6th! We are beyond proud of the campaigns they all ran and welcome them as new members-elect of the Georgia General Assembly.
Our 12 WINning women accomplished the following with their WINs:
- Protected one key Senate seat “flip” from the 2017 special elections
- Flipped 10 long-held Republican seats – eight in the House and two in the Senate
- Welcomed one “new face” Democratic woman who replaced a Democratic man
WINning Women in the Senate!
WINning Women in the House!
The impact of these WINning women doesn’t end there. With 12 more Democratic women in the state legislature – along with the nine other Democratic wins throughout the state – Georgia can now proudly proclaim the following:
- Women – both Democratic and GOP – will make up 30.1 percent of the 2019 state legislature!
- Of the 71 women who will serve in the 2019 state legislature, 55 are Democratic women. This means Democratic women now outnumber GOP women by approximately 3.5 to one.
- Georgia ranked 23rd in the nation for the percentage of women in the state legislature for the 2018 legislative session. The ranking is sure to increase once the Center for American Women in Politics updates their state rankings for the 2019 legislative session.
- Georgia has also long lead the nation for the highest number of black women serving in any state legislative body nationwide. Those numbers also remain to be calculated for the 2019 legislative session.
But that’s not all!
- The election of these 12 WINning women helped flip the legislative delegations from GOP to Democratic control in THREE Metro Atlanta counties: Fulton, Gwinnett, and Cobb!
- DeKalb County is now 100% represented by Democratic candidates thanks to the election of Sally Harrell to SD40, too!
While there is definitely a lot to celebrate after the 2018 election – and some results still sinking in – we have absolutely no intention of slowing down.
In the next few weeks, Georgia’s WIN List will be:
- Launching our recruitment plans for the 2019-2020 WIN Leadership Academy class.
- Completing a “Best Practices” study to empower our newly-elected WINning women.
- Recruiting for the 2019 municipal elections and the 2020 elections.
- Planning for special elections in early 2019 as Gov. Deal names his final appointees.
Your contribution to Georgia’s WIN List is an investment in all the women leaders we help recruit and train. By investing in our women, you are also investing in the future of Georgia.
With your investment, we are able to:
- Train the rising stars in our communities to run for office
- Train our endorsed candidates to maximize their potential and protect their seats.
- Provide financial support for our endorsed candidates with contribution checks.
- Provide technical and fundraising support for our endorsed candidates.
- Provide voter outreach volunteer support.
- Strengthen the WIN List Sisterhood.
Join us with your donation today!